Transcript from the Duel in Deduction, in The Empty Hearse
Earlier tonight I was asked to transcribe Mycroft and Sherlock’s little duel in deduction over that hat. I have now done so. There’s a lot to be pulled out of this for analysis, but it’s late, so I will give it to you without commentary, for now. It’s not perfect, at all. With my thanks to drinkingcocoa-tpp, theprogressofspring and cakeanddust for the corrections.
Taken from the end of their game of Operation:
S: Can’t handle a broken heart? How very telling.
M: Don’t be smart.
S: That takes me back. [adopts creepy child voice]“Don’t be smart Sherlock, I’m the smart one.”
M [darkly]: I am the smart one.
S: I used to think I was an idiot.
M: Both of us thought you were an idiot, Sherlock. We had nothing else to go on, until we met other children.
S: Oh yes. That was a mistake.
M: Ghastly. What were they thinking of?
S: Probably something about trying to make friends.
M: Oh Yes. [sarcastic smile] Friends. Of course, you go in for that sort of thing now.
S: And you don’t? Ever?
M: If you seem slow to me, Sherlock, can you imagine what real people are like? I’m living in a world of goldfish.
S: Yes, but I’ve been away for two years.
S: I don’t know. No, I thought perhaps you might have found yourself a…goldfish.
M: Change the subject. Now.
S: Rest assured, Mycroft, whatever this underground network of yours is up to, the secret will reside in something seemingly insignificant or bizarre.
[Enter Mrs Hudson]
M: Speaking of which.
H: I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it. Him sitting in his chair again. Isn’t it wonderful Mr Holmes?
M: I can barely contain myself.
S: Oh, he really can, you know.
H: He’s secretly pleased to see you underneath all that [purses lips]
M: Sorry, which of us?
H: Both of you.
[Exit Mrs Hudson]
S: Let’s play something different.
M: [sighs] Why are we playing games?
S: Well, London’s terror alert has been raised to critical. I’m just passing the time.
[Stands to retrieve hat]
S: Let’s do deductions. Client left this while I was out. What do you reckon?
[Throws hat to Mycroft]
M: I’m busy.
S: Oh, go on. It’s been an age.
[Mycroft smells hat]
M: I always win.
S: Which is why you can’t resist.
M: I find nothing irresistible in the hat of well-travelled, anxious, sentimental, unfit creature of habit, with appalling halitosis. [pause] Damn.
[throws hat back to Sherlock]
S: Isolated too, don’t you think?
M: Why would he be isolated?
S: Why, size of the hat?
M: Don’t be silly. Some women have large heads too. No, he’s recently had his hair cut. You can see the little hairs adhering to the perspiration stains on the inside.
S: …Some women have short hair too.
M: Balance of probability.
S: Not that you even spoken to a woman with short hair. Or, you know, a woman.
M: Stains show it’s out of condition. He’s sentimental because the hat has been repaired three, four –
S [interrupting]: Five times.
[throws hat back to Mycroft}
S: Very neatly. The cost of the repairs exceeds the cost of the hat, so he’s mawkishly attached to it, but it’s more than that – one, perhaps two patches would indicate sentimentality, but five? Five’s obsessive behaviour. Obsessive-compulsive.
M: Hardly. Your client left it behind. What sort of an obsessive-compulsive would do that?
[throws hat back to Sherlock]
M: The earlier patches are extensively sun-bleached, so he’s worn in abroad. In Peru.
M: This is chullo. The classic headgear of the Andes. It’s made of alpaca.
S: Icelandic sheep wool. Similar but very distinctive, if you know what you’re looking for. I’ve written a blog on the varying tensile strengths of different natural fibres.
H [re-entering]: Sure there’s a crying need for that.
S: You said he was anxious.
M: The bobble on the left side has been badly chewed, which shows he’s a man of a nervous disposition, but –
S [interrupting]: But also a creature of habit because he hasn’t chewed the bobble on the right.
S: Brief sniff of the offending bobble tells us everything you need to know about the state of his breath. Really?
S: [turning away from Mycroft]: But you’ve missed his isolation.
M: I don’t see it.
S: Plain as day.
S: There for all to see.
M: Tell me.
S: Plain as the nose on –
M [interrupting, exasperated]: Tell me!
S: Well, anyone who wears a hat as stupid as this isn’t in the habit of hanging around other people, is he?
M: Not at all. Maybe he just doesn’t mind being different. Doesn’t necessarily have to be isolated.
M: I’m sorry?
S: He’s different. So what. Why would he mind? Quite right.
[Sherlock puts hat on]
S: Why would anyone mind?
M: I’m not lonely, Sherlock.
[Sherlock gives Mycroft a significant look]
S: How would you know?
M: Yes. Back to work if you don’t mind. Good morning.
- sassiest-assbutt-in-the-garrison likes this
- cooljgreen likes this
- daelenn likes this
- cannibal-fedupwithpeople likes this
- wanniethepooh reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft and added:
- howimetyourludgate likes this
- neutraltortle reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- superxwholock likes this
- italian-chic likes this
- strengthweaksovertime likes this
- grrlplea likes this
- you--won-t--relent reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- humumently reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- humumently likes this
- adelid89 likes this
- germansense reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- germansense likes this
- kingofcustardcreams likes this
- anothereastcoastgal likes this
- blackheart279 likes this
- jetsettermaycee likes this
- brookenado likes this
- ahora-blue-fine likes this
- paragrin likes this
- missfalafox reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- castielsgracelessfall reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- batik96 likes this
- captainkirakira likes this
- kalliravenne reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- kalliravenne likes this
- the-art-of-being-here likes this
- afleshkid-zombie reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- sleeplessinhogsmeade reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- missbelrowleys likes this
- heartdivided likes this
- jisforjudi likes this
- chibimily reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- thedalekat221b likes this
- batifatty reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- spinningwiththesound reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- headphonesdeepinthought likes this
- devisamarama likes this
- thewinterprince likes this
- onedoesnotsimplyhaveonefandom reblogged this from i-am-mycroft-holmes
- i-am-mycroft-holmes reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- jlfehr likes this
- tigersydney94 reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- rchlltz reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft
- acciocelebrities likes this
- in-between-between reblogged this from ibelieveinmycroft