Oh, there are so many suits I am longing to see Mycroft in, in series three and beyond!
He needs to wear more tweed and country wear, in a similar vein to that brief scene in Scandal in Belgravia. I love that Mycroft is so conscious about the distinction between country and city clothing, even when just relaxing at home. It’s his version of casual clothing!
I would like a scene set at the height of summer, or in a warmer country, with Mycroft in a cream linen suit and a panama hat.
A blue suit, or one in a Prince of Wales check. We’ve only seen Mycroft’s city suits in black and grey. A lovely navy blue would be very pleasing. Although I enjoy the pinstripe number, I would like to see less of it. Mycroft’s a debonair fellow; he needs more variety. Something a little more striking.
I also have this fantasy about Mycroft at Royal Ascot. If they ever adapt Silver Blaze, they could set it there and this would be quite a natural event for Mycroft to get roped into resentfully attending. I can imagine him in the royal box, in his tail coat, playing with his top hat, bored out of his mind.
I also want Mycroft out of his suits - I want to see his braces! I know they’re there, under his waistcoat, but apart from fleeting glimpses of them on set, they’ve yet to be seen. I want attention to be drawn to all the details of Mycroft’s wardrobe!
Other than that, lots of patterned ties, decorative tie-pins and pocket squares worn in exotic folds. More Mycroft the Dandy rather than Mycroft the Bureaucrat.
Oh, now I can’t wait. I want to see what they’re going to dress Mycroft in now!
I’m all agreement regarding Dark!Mycroft. It’s a delicious flavour of the man; so subtle and graceful in his manipulation, like the slick of a blade being pulled from an umbrella.
I am terrible at keeping track of what I have read and enjoyed, but here are a few from my bookmarks that meet the criteria:
The Perfect Suit
Don’t know if you’ve been browsing iplayer but there is this great program for your blog: the perfect suit. I watched it today and thought - dear god Mycroft has taken over BBC 4! I think it’s probably one of the few channels he watches for fun on occasion.
Well, if anything deserves the suit porn tag, it’s this. If you’re in the UK and the BBC iplayer is available to you, go and indulge.
Moriarty is Real!
An after-exam stroll through Cambridge to visit my friend at one of the colleges (which will not be named for privacy reasons) yielded this:
Moriarty is real!
Most colleges have a habit of painting the names of the occupants in every room of a staircase/building on the wall by the entrance and above their doors if there is space. The person who lives next door to Prof. Moriarty’s office is none other than J. Watson! All we really need is an S. Holmes!
According to people who know him Prof. Moriarty is very nice man and a top academic in his field.
I would upload the photo with the names but it has so many names on that it would impossible not to identify the place.
I would like to point out this Prof. Moriarty and his neighbour Watson are really people with real lives. Please do not compulsively stalk/track them down. This post is just a bit of fun!
So, I’ve been writing…
wellingtongoose prompted me:
Mycroft, Anthea and Her Majesty save the royal Jubilee from (insert your own villian here)
So, may I present to you: The Adventure of the Diamond Jubilee which is almost that. It’s just a bit of fun, and was something of a rush-job to get written in time for the Jubilee weekend, so isn’t as tidy as I would like. Sorry, making excuses because I don’t get to write fiction as much as I would like to any more. Concrit is appreciated - it helps me learn.
I love everything about this site! Thank you for indulging my love of mycroft. I was wondering about your opinion of Mycroft/Anthea. I know there isn’t much to go on and any discussion is more imagination than fact but hey what do you think?
Hello, and thank you. I am always happy to indulge all Mycroft-love!
I have such a soft spot for Anthea - you may have noticed! She remains quite the enigma. And who can resist an enigma? I do hope she reappears next series…there’s no guarantee, of course (on the commentary she was referred to as ‘someone from downstairs’ rather than something more immediate like ‘Mycroft’s PA’), but there was a long gap between Anderson’s two appearances (Pink & Reichenbach), so I’ve not given up hope she’ll make a return.
You’re right, there’s next to nothing to go on, apart from the shared immaculateness of their attire and their matching rings (oh, those rings have caused me so much speculation!)…but I will wander into the realms of my headcanon if I’m permitted…
- I like to think of Anthea as Mycroft’s Girl Friday around the office. She the one who reminds him to change his tie when he’s been up all night and deflects the calls from the Prime Minister when he wants something her boss would consider beneath him. She is, at once, impressed by and frustrated with Mycroft’s own particular brand of Holmesian madness/brilliance.
- I suspect that she also lives with him, as a sort of Watson-esque ‘live-in PA’. Mycroft is a Holmes, after all - moreover, he is the Holmes who chooses to wear the mask of normality - he needs someone to keep him grounded and remind him how to behave like a normal human being.
- As it has been said regarding Watson - only a fool would surround himself with idiots. And Mycroft Holmes is no fool. Mycroft needs an equal, or as close to one as a Holmes can find. I think she’s capable of looking him in the eye and saying, “Sir, you’re clever, but you’re stupid.” No one else, apart from his brother, is capable of doing that. He admires her for it.
- It almost goes without saying, as it is so ingrained within the Anthea Fanon, that she is more than capable of handling the elder Holmes. She possesses a brilliance of her own and knows what to do with a gun. Like her employer, she is far more dangerous than she lets on. Mycroft has never intimidated her. Before coming to work for Mycroft and a whole new level of the Secret Service, she was probably MI5 or MI6. I sense something quite blithe to authority about her character - something she would need to deal with Mycroft, who is basically authority incarnate - so I like to think she was on remand from the service when Mycroft discovered her. He liked her - I think Mycroft respects those who aren’t afraid of him, (he does seem fond of John, after all) and almost everyone else is afraid of him. He had her transferred, and no one dared question Mr. Holmes.
- She had absolutely no interest in ‘three-continents’ Watson. While this could be for any number of reasons, (sexuality, personal preference, etc.) if one did happen to be involved with a Holmes, why would one ever even look at another man?
- As it happens, I was driven to think of them as a couple partly because of what little of her personality we glean through her dealings with John - her condescending, slightly mischievous sense of humour and her indifferent superiority are both traits that Mycroft shares. Also, the coldness of her rebuff of John’s advances, without making any effort to save his dignity or his feelings, suggest that she may herself be almost as emotionally distant as a Holmes. Based on this, I think their partnership would be a happy and equal one.
I’m sorry, am I babbling again? I feel like I’m babbling. I think I stopped answering what you asked me about three paragraphs ago. I’ll stop now and leave you with my favourite piece of Mythea fan art: